I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Monday, August 8, 2011

I feel a little less crazy

It seems that there are others out there who are aware that the idea that only complimenting our daughters (and sisters and nieces and any other girl and woman out there) on their appearance doesn't exactly send the best message. So maybe I'm not so crazy after all, to make sure to point this out to my baby. (Maybe just a little crazy, admittedly.)

Here's the blog post I just read on this very topic, which links to the original article. It also mentions Cinderella Ate My Daughter (in the P.S.), which I read a sample of on my Kindle a few months back. The sample was enough to sufficiently rile me up so that I obsessed about it and the potential problems that we're setting our daughters up for and couldn't sleep. It seems like it would be an interesting book but I don't think I can read it now that I have my very own daughter as I tend to overthink such things and drive everyone around me completely crazy with my fretting.

I wanted to write something a little longer on the topic but I'm still trying to get my thoughts in order and arrange them coherently, which may or may not happen later today or tomorrow. I also owe you some pictures and commentary on our trip to WV for the fair and, to Will at least, its main event--the pig chase. I've got some diverse topics to address in the next few days, don't I?

















Yes, she's cute. The cutest. (And if I'm being really honest, I love her little gingham shirt.) But I hope that she always knows that she's also valued for who she is and the things she thinks, not just the beautiful little body that carries all that stuff around inside it.

No comments:

Post a Comment