I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Saturday, December 10, 2011

We breakfasted with Santa

















This picture cracks me up (or, as Will says, cracks my head right off). We continued our merry-making with Breakfast with Santa at the gym this morning. We were one of the last tables called for our turn with Santa and Laura was a little unsure of what this whole Santa bit is really about. By the time I approached him, she was clinging to me for dear life. And while it may sound totally cruel, I was secretly a little bit excited that she was doing the slightly terrified, crying, reaching-for-us pose that so many kids have in their annual Santa photos (she recovered a bit, as you can see from the picture).

Will has never, not once, for even one split second, hesitated to go sit on Santa's lap, so we have no pictures of an unhappy child on Santa's lap, which I personally think is a rite of childhood/parenthood. So I'm kind of glad that Laura appears to be supplying us with the opportunity to check this item off the list. We're still taking them to the mall in their festive Christmas outfits so keep your fingers crossed that Laura doesn't come around to hanging with Santa in the next week or so. (Does this make me cruel?)

We're spending tomorrow evening on the Polar Express. And we're spending this weekend still (STILL) trying to get over whatever this black cloud of sickness is that's been hovering over our house since Halloween or so. I'm back to thinking that contracting a lifelong cold actually is a possibility. And that wellness is some sort of mirage.

More coming soon...happy merry-making!

No comments:

Post a Comment