I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Daying

We enjoyed our holiday weekend and used it to accomplish various things. Jamison did some sorely-needed yard work. I painted the porch (a surprisingly long enterprise that still isn't completely finished). And Will and Laura were busy too.




Posted by Picasa

(You don't scare me crazy dragon-thing!)

Laura spent some time in her exersaucer (what in the world does "exersaucer" actually mean? what is it derived from?) and loved it. We're entering those glory days of babyhood that involve longer stretches of contentedness and the lack of mobility. (Although the lack of mobility, I fear, will not last quite as long for the Wiggle Worm as it did for Will, who didn't crawl until he was 10 months old.) And I know I say it all the time, but she really is the sweetest baby in the world, despite the fact that she's in the process of developing an impressive repertoire of screams and shrieks.




This is Will smiling after I told him to smile normally instead of his usual "cheese" face. It's a start, I guess.




Take two.



Cheese face 4-ever.


Posted by Picasa

This was after I told him to smile like he was laughing instead of scrunching up his eyes and nose and doing the usual. I don't know about him.

Our biggest news from the weekend is that our newest baby cousin arrived (he's the third of three new babies in five months in our fam)! My cousin Jordan had baby Mac on Labor Day and Will and Laura can't wait to meet him! From his pictures, he looks like a keeper.  (Laura gave him her enthusiastic approval by spitting up all over the keyboard while she looked at his pictures . . .)

I'll leave you with this: Will asleep in the car on the way to Columbus to watch the Marshall-OSU game with Annabeth and Benjamin (and Thomas, too!). Pooped out, which is how I feel most of the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment