I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Monday, September 20, 2010

This and That

This:  Will is still enamored with preschool, just as we thought he'd be. He doesn't really discuss his time there, though, other than what he did on the playground. His very first watercolor was waiting in his cubby on Wednesday when I picked him up which led to the realization that I need to devise some sort of art/keepsake storage well in advance of it getting out of hand, as these things are likely to do. I'm still processing the fact that I have a preschooler. . . I've tried to write something about it but have failed to accurately say what it is that I'm thinking. Tomorrow maybe?

And that:  Laura slept ALL NIGHT (7 pm-7 am) last night for whatever reason. I woke up at her regular waking times around midnight and four and kept waiting for her to stir. Early this morning, I woke up in my own personal milk bath, which hasn't happened in a few months. Needless to say I was really ready for her to eat first thing this morning, right after I woke her up (!) at seven. I have no idea where the sudden long stretch of sleeping came from but I'm not going to get used to the idea since it'll probably not happen again for a long while. (Will was sleeping from 6:30 pm until almost 8 am at this point in his life but I'm trying not to think of that now.)

Laura also had oatmeal for the very first time yesterday morning and I'm happy to report that she did much better than I had imagined. I've had visions of her being the only three year old ever to be exclusively breastfed but it appears that my visions may have been inaccurate. And while I'm certainly glad that the Worm liked her oatmeal, I have to admit that it made me feel a bit sad. Where did my newborn go?

And since my newborn-no-longer has been asleep for over two hours now, I should probably go to bed. I'll try to write something tomorrow sometime depending on how productive my two and a half hours of alone time is . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment