I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Monday, May 16, 2011

Blogging, interrupted

I feel like I haven't written anything in approximately six months and thus I don't remember where I should start or where I left off (which would be easily remedied, of course, by reading back over my last post but that's too sensible). We've had what I imagine will become the usual May busy-ness, with school events and home projects and landscaping woes and wet basements and rain, rain and more rain and there's more to come (of all of the above).

I managed to infect my computer with some sort of tenacious, hellacious virus so I'm writing this on a new computer after Jamison decided that it wasn't worth dealing with in all of his abundant free time. This wasn't really a bad development, seeing as my keyboard was less a few key players (hardy har har), namely the f, k and u. That sounds like I'm trying to curse cryptically but I'm not. Or at least not at you. Maybe at Will, but only in my head since he repeats every single thing he hears, usually at the most humiliating possible moment that he can. It's also nice to have a computer that actually has a functional CD player (drive?). My computer-ese is pretty limited. Hence the virus.

Tomorrow is Will's final day of school for the year, believe it or not. He says that he's excited for summer but I'm not sure if he grasps that all this really means is that he'll be spending more time with me at home. What he does know for sure, though, is that we're going to the beach in T-minus five weeks and counting. He is absolutely beside himself with anticipation and we've discussed the various details of the trip (driving, hotel, more driving, luggage, ferry, golf carts, swimming, beach, sand, cousins, sun, playground, who's going, who's not, where everyone will stay, what we'll be eating [he is truly mine in this regard, as I like to plan my lunch before I've even eaten my breakfast]) at least four hundred times. Laura is indifferent. Sweet as pie, but totally indifferent.

Speaking of Baby Sister, we finally switched her to her big girl carseat this weekend. Not because of size issues, of course. She's well under the weight limit for her baby car seat and still fit in it comfortably, but I think 16ish pounds is about my own personal weight limit for carting her around in it so we decided it was time she got a more comfy upgrade. Her own personal Britax chariot arrived Saturday (thank you, $3.99 overnight shipping, Amazon) and she appears to be pretty happy about it. I think it's my favorite pattern yet (a very subtle black and gray/grey paisley) out of the three car seats that we have. (Yes, Will is still in his and will remain in it until he outgrows it, which is probably being a little bit overprotective but I'm not messing around after our experience a few springs ago. The weight limit for their car seats is 70 pounds, so Laura will be in hers until 7th grade or so. And then I plan to just transfer it to the driver's seat for me since I'm about two inches and a few more pounds, admittedly, from being required by law to be in a booster seat myself.)

I really didn't start that last paragraph with the intention of writing an entire paragraph on car seats. I could have easily summed it up as: Laura got a new car seat, a Britax just like both of Will's. We love them and they'll be in them forever. Moving on.

We're having the floors in our bedroom refinished this week before we head out of town for my college reunion. (10 whole years. What the?) This has turned out to be a surprisingly loud and cold operation, since the front door has to be left open to accommodate the various hoses and tubes since we opted for the fancy no-dust option (code for "we are lazy and anything we can do to make our cleanup easier, we will be a sucker and pay for").

So. Those were my words. Now for some pictures:


















Will remains Laura's favorite person in the whole world, which I alternately find completely heartwarming and mildly terrifying.


























Crazy flower that popped up out of nowhere for the first time since we've lived here. It's purple and white and very vivid. And tall.



Speaking of vivid, I'm breaking my usual black and white routine since I really like the colors of these flowers. And the fact that it wasn't raining the day I took this.














As for her, I like her equally in color and in black and white. She's such a little worm.

(Speaking of worms, Will got his first little tangible lesson in death the other day when he found a worm outside. Instead of allowing this worm to just slither around and be happy in the dirt, Will decided that it [Slimey, or Swimey, as Will says] needed to "swim" so he put it in his sand and water table so he could swim. Needless to say, Slimey didn't fare so well.

The mailman walked by and Will showed him the worm. When he asked Will if the worm needed a bath, Will acknowledged that the worm had been "wiggling around" but now it was "still." He then looked up at the mailman and deadpanned, "He's dead." No emotion whatsoever. Then he dug around in the dirt until he found another worm and repeated the exact same scenario, except for letting this worm escape the bath of death before he or she met his or her ultimate demise. Not sure what this says about Will, but I'm thinking that it's going to be a while before we get a more complicated pet, like a dog.)

Hopefully this computer will remain virus-free for the duration of its life with me. Regardless, more coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment