I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Just skip this if you're tired of reading about our vacation

I had every intention of writing this the latter part of last week but apparently the universe had other plans for me. Plans that involved a kidney infection and doing basically nothing from Wednesday until yesterday. Turns out kidney infections are for the birds.

But there are more vacation pictures to share, so here goes.

















Will was obsessed with the idea of climbing Old Baldy, the lighthouse, for our entire stay. We went for it on our final day there.

















On the off chance you've never seen the inside of a lighthouse (which was me until this day), this is what this particular one looks like. (Will says that this looks old and is that's why it's named "Old Baldy." He's now also expounding at length on his theory that the keeper of Old Baldy "went away" because the walls are "torn up.")

















Laura and I barely managing to fit ourselves through the tiny little door to get to the top. If either of us had been much bigger, we couldn't have done it with her in the Bjorn. (I know, I'm totally old school with my choice of carrier. But she's really getting a bit heavy to be carried in any form so I'm probably not going to be getting anything new.)

















Will and Grammie climbing up the ladder.

















The first in a series of pictures we'll affectionately call (a rather obvious choice) "The Old Baldy Series." Jamison snapped everyone's picture while he enthusiastically urged us to replace the usual "Cheese!" with "Old Baldy!." These are the results.

















My mom will probably not be happy for me including this but it's one of a series and cannot be left out.

















Laura and I are burning up. It's already hot wearing another human but it becomes even hotter when you factor in the heat in the little (really little) viewing area at the top of the lighthouse.

















Portrait of the Photographer as a Young(ish) Man. He took this of himself and he's saying, of course, "Old Baldy!" I may be the only person who finds this funny.

















And just because it's really cute, this is the chapel that's right next to Old Baldy.

















On the ferry, getting ready to head home.

















And on the way home, totally exhausted. Will slept for a good few hours after we left (which is such a rarity these days) and Laura was also pooped out for a good bit of the drive. The kids were really good in the car, especially considering that we were in the car for nearly twelve hours and didn't get home until midnight. The adults, though, didn't handle it quite as gracefully and were wishing that we'd flown when it was 10 pm and we were still a good bit from our bed.

Hopefully, wherever you are, you're keeping yourself as far from the outdoors as possible if it's as hot and humid there as it is here. (Will, Laura and I went outside fairly early this morning and came back inside after a mere half hour much sweatier, grumpier and stinkier than we'd previously been.)

1 comment:

  1. This is so great - and I am NEVER tired of hearing about anyone's beach trip, especially yours! Jamison's "Old Baldy" insistence is hiliarious (almost as hilarious as his own demonstration). I bow down to those who travel more than two hours to get to the beach; you are a brave breed. We all miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete