I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Friday, July 27, 2012

Where to start?

I've fallen behind my self-imposed goal of posting something once a week. The problem with that is that now I have eight million things I could write about but I'd rather not write something that's going to take very long since we're a man down around here (Will is in WV this week) and I'm trying to put every precious second while Laura is sleeping to good use. Or reasonably good use. I feel scattered and very here-and-there mentally so how about a list? Or bullets? Or some combination thereof? Or do you really care?



1) We met Jamison for lunch today. I know they say that daughters love their daddies more than their mothers. This picture might just prove it.

2) I've finished a record amount of books in the past few weeks, starting with The Art of Fielding. I was a little hesitant to read it because I feel kind of indifferent towards baseball in general and sports books in particular but I'm so glad I put my personal bias aside. It was, and this is something I don't bestow upon many books, exquisitely written. That's all I'll say about that because I want each and every one of you to read it and then thank me for recommending it. Then I read The Dirty Life (don't get your hopes up, it's about farming) and liked it as well. And, finally, I finished The Law of Similars late, late last night and it was also a solid book. It turned out to be more engrossing than I had thought, which explains why I stayed up so late reading. Three (fairly) good books in a row. I hardly know what to do with myself. It's very, very rare for me to start and finish three books in a row, let alone three books in two weeks! 

I should also add that I discovered Good Reads and I highly recommend it if you're struggling to choose what to read next.

3) I want nothing more than a Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich for dinner this evening. Too bad Chick-Fil-A and I are no longer on speaking terms.

4) I've been doing a little sewing here lately and am knitting a blanket for our couch. Because nothing says "Time to knit a blanket!" like heat advisories and mid-90s every day, you know.

5) Will starts school in a little less than six weeks. Thinking about it gives me heart palpitations so I'm just going to pretend he's going back to preschool for another year.

My allotted time is up, so the list will have to end for now. Happy weekend!


1 comment:

  1. Yay! My favorite blogger is back : )

    I am on borrowed time while F&G finish their mac n' cheese in the next room (and they tend to inhale the stuff), but I wanted to pass on a great book I just read, too - "Rules of Civility." Great writing, interesting story. I'm so glad you liked the Art of Fielding ... that's on my wish list. Reading "Gone Girl" after two recommendations and it is a potboiler. Don't bother ... but of course it's very Hunger Games-ish in that the entire time I am reading it my inner dialogue is something to the effect of "shoot. I hate this book. But now I have to finish it because I HAVE to know how it ends. Shoot."

    I'm considering reading "Wolf Hall" but don't know if I am brave enough. My mom was reading it the other week, so I'll find out if she finished it.

    Okay, that's it for me. I am kind of in love with that first picture, by the way. They are quite a pair!

    ReplyDelete