I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Monday, July 12, 2010

Two Items

1) Laura took a bottle last night! Of course, I've since been on a hunt for more since she's rejected all other options with outright disdain and it just so happens that she favors a bottle we got months back at Target on clearance that they no longer carry. (Munchkin 4 oz glass bottles--in case you run across any, please direct me to them--since I know everyone surely spends a lot of their free time looking at baby feeding items, you know.) The bottle-taking has the potential to be a liberating experience for me, as it means I can actually leave the house for more than three hours  a time without taking Laura with me. Not that I mind having her with me, but I can easily count on one hand--very easily, with a few fingers to spare--the number of times I've gone anywhere alone since she's been born. (And one of those trips shouldn't even count since I spent it at Walmart, aka the world's most unpleasant shopping experience.)

2) In other Laura-related news, she slept all night by herself in the co-sleeper next to our bed instead of in bed with us. I missed having her right next to me. Not that the co-sleeper is a huge separation or anything, but it was still different. I thought she may have trouble sleeping on her own but she slept just as well. One little step on the path to not needing us for anything ever . . . she's watching Will and taking notes, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment