I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Friday, July 2, 2010

Almost Heaven

While we're on the subject of WV . . .

Will loves going to West Virginia for many reasons:





Posted by Picasa

Fishing, for example. This is his first time fishing. He went with his papaw to the pond in the holler (yes, it's really a word to us--I actually just realized not that long ago that not everyone knows what a "holler" is--it's a hollow, in case you were wondering) above the house.



Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

These were taken at one of the ponds on my cousin's property. And if you look closely, you'll notice that Will has a Hello Kitty bandaid on his forehead. After an unplanned run-in with a concrete flowerpot, he insisted on it even when offered something a little less pink. I've always liked men in pink, regardless, and find the juxtaposition of fishing boots and Hello Kitty utterly charming.



Posted by Picasa

When we were home in May, Mom took Will to the greenhouse and he picked out some marigolds. Will has a wee bit of a love affair with greenhouses, especially ones where he gets to see tractors and other heavy equipment.



Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

Speaking of tractors, this is where Will is happiest. I've never been around a little one who loves moving vehicles of any sort any more than Will does.

As much as Will loves being outside and having room to roam out in the country, I suspect that these are the things at home that he likes the most:



Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

(This is, obviously, a small sampling of our family . . . apologies to everyone I had to leave out for the sake of brevity. . .)

No comments:

Post a Comment