I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Monday, June 28, 2010

In a cabin down by the river

Here are some pictures of our weekend on the river in WV. Sometimes I forget what a pretty state I'm from. I can't imagine anything much more idyllic than right where we were. Will loved every second of his time there with the exception of going to bed our first night, when he mournfully expounded upon his deep and abiding wish to "go to Cinca-ati" to "our white house" for around an hour or so. (He also did not pass up the opportunity to go all Jekyll and Hyde on us, claiming that he didn't like our cabin only to wake up Saturday morning saying how much he loved it.) But on to happier times:



Posted by Picasa

The object of Will's affection and/or disgust.



Posted by Picasa

The view from the back porch.



Posted by Picasa

The accidental fisherman and his trusty sidekick.



Posted by Picasa

Laura and Papaw Gary, debuting her bathing suit, which is certainly her must-have summer outfit. If only I looked nearly as cute in swimming attire . . .



Posted by Picasa

The intrepid rafters. (Sun exposure was minimal, for all you worrywarts out there. She was in the sun for a few minutes, tops. Will's, however, wasn't exactly minimal, though.)



Posted by Picasa

Watermelon time!


Posted by Picasa

Watermelon time, part deux. (And, yes, Will is that short. He's not slumping. I wonder where he gets it?)



Posted by Picasa

Lunchtime!



Posted by Picasa

Then time for some serious tower building.



Posted by Picasa

Same seat, different state.



Posted by Picasa

Sunday morning. Ready to roll--all the way back to Cinca-ati.



Posted by Picasa

Probably best that he wasn't driving, for a multitude of reasons.


Posted by Picasa


And for my R-MWC peeps, here's Pearl Buck's birthplace (which is about three minutes from where we stayed), where there was some sort of event (hence the white tent). (This picture is really pretty in color but I don't really want to mess up the black and white vibe for now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment