I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I'll miss this



I know she's not even a year old yet (only six more days!) and there's really no end in sight to the breastfeeding, but I also know that whenever she decides she's had enough, it will be a sad, sad day for me. I never understood when moms expressed similar sentiments about weaning their babies before I had her. I get it now.

The fact that she's done this every single day of her life, at least five or six times, with the exception of maybe three (?) times when she took a bottle, is kind of nuts to me. The amount of time I've spent on this couch with her attached to me in some form or fashion is also kind of nuts. That time, though, is something that she and I will always have, something that I wouldn't trade for anything, ever.

And not to get all Earth Mother on you or anything (as I'm certainly aware that breastfeeding isn't for everyone, for many various reasons, and I don't want to be sanctimonious or self-righteous about it), but I think there are far too few pictures of babies breastfeeding out there. It's such a simple, normal part of life that it seems silly that so many people are uncomfortable with the idea of it. Boo!

So I'm on my own one-woman mission to spread the word. To all eight of you out there.

(Laura's latest pasttime while eating is trying to shove as many of her fingers up my nose as she can.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this - I still miss it every day. SEEE, another reason for baby #3, right?!

    ReplyDelete