I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Friday, October 14, 2011

A couple of things

Laura was a bit under the weather last week.

















She was sitting on the couch one minute and then completely pooped out on me the next. (I realize that her hair is completely out of control and sometimes she resembles a wild animal but she won't let us put anything in her hair. So no clips, rubber bands, no containment of any variety. I'm hoping she'll get past this stage soon.)
















I took this the other evening from the front porch. The only thing I did to it was some minor cropping. It was pretty spectacular, so much so that Will stepped outside and declared that the sky looked like magic. And it did.

















Like countless other preschoolers the nation over, we spent some time on a farm for a field trip to the pumpkin patch. This year Sister walked around all by herself (with the help of my mom, who came for the field trip and saved the day, since Jamison was out of town and I wasn't exactly looking forward to hayriding solo with two active, headstrong kids who are both able to get around with minimal help from their mother).

More pumpkin patch pictures:

























It was a successful day and both of the kids loved it, despite the weather conditions being not exactly ideal. I didn't get to witness it, but my mom reports that Laura really loved the chickens. Will pretty much loved everything about it. I'm pretty sure that no one will ever accuse him of being apathetic. He's going "to gym" (as he puts it) this evening for Kids' Night In and Jamison and I are going to celebrate by spending some q.t. with Sis and enjoying the relative ease of just having one of our offspring in our care.

Finally, Wednesday marked two things: my grandmother's birthday (Happy birthday, Mamaw!) and our ninth anniversary. Yes, nine. One year short of a decade. Jamison spent it in LA, possibly playing beach volleyball. (I haven't verified if it actually occurred on this date but I know that the trip did involve a game or two.) I spent it on a hayride with our children. I had planned on posting something about this but when I had the chance to write something, I mainly wanted to go to bed. Maybe I'll get around to ruminating (in the non-bovine sense, of course) a little on our blessed union in the next day or so.

In the meantime, hopefully you'll have a chance to get out and enjoy all that fall has to offer. It's my favorite season of all. (Minus the part where we spend a million hours per weekend raking leaves.)

No comments:

Post a Comment