I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Two little loves

This is going to be short on words but long on pictures. Will has been sick since Sunday (really  not feeling well, which resulted in an urgent care visit this evening to reveal a "rip-roaring" [doctor's words] ear infection and a temperature of 104) and he's spent every day resting and napping, watching Netflix on the couch or in his bed. Laura has been concerned, walking over periodically to lay her sweet little head down next to Will or to pat him and smile. Or to poke him in the eye. Whichever. In any case, I got these pictures of them together today. I had to seize the opportunity, as they're not ever still and smiling at the same time. Here they are:

































(I don't really want to know what they're talking about/plotting in this one.)

















Laura is the only one of us who was dressed in actual clothes by noon today.

















Sometimes I wish I had a pause button. Despite their tendency to sometimes swipe each others' toys or pinch or otherwise be not so nice, deep down they're really just each other's biggest fan. And what more could any parent ask for?

















Laura gives people pats to help them feel better. She usually does this while she says "Oooh" because I usually say, "Oh, how sweet" while she does it. I wish I could bottle her sweetness somehow.






















What did I ever do without these two?

And now it's time for bed, as I've been up since 3 (am, not pm) with Will. Not entirely sure how I'm still functioning but it's 10:20 and I've yet to collapse from sheer exhaustion somehow.

It's almost the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Sara!! These pictures are priceless...major Christmas card material here! Isn't sibling love the most magical thing to witness? I feel so honored to be able to observe it on a daily basis. Please send Will LOTS of get-well-soon vibes from his Midlothian fans - that sounds awful and yet familiar (George!). And take care (or maybe even a nap?), Momma!

    ReplyDelete