I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dispatches from yet another playground

I'm writing this while Laura is STILL sleeping (at nearly 10 am!). This is, from my Early Bird Special from birth, highly unusual but she's a bit under the weather. And, like her Daddy, she is very pitiful and dramatic about it. Will and I are more in the minimal-complaining-just-deal-with-it camp but the other half of the family fully embraces the the-more-I-make-sad-faces-and/or-moan-the-better-I-will-feel philosophy. Oh, well. To each his or her own, right?

We've had really nice weather this past week and we've been to various parks and playgrounds to celebrate Jamison not having to go to Vegas this week.























She looks so old in this picture. How did this happen?























Will is learning how to propel himself on the swings. This is a surprisingly hard process, apparently.























Will is showing Laura some ants. Laura will pretty much look at anything her big brother wants to show her.























Just for some perspective, when I said that Laura looks older, it's not because she's tall or anything. This outfit is a size 6-9 months. I was digging through her "outside" clothes looking for something short-sleeved since it's apparently mid-June around here and this is what I came up with. It's kind of tight, but it still fit her. It's hard to believe she could squeeze into something so small just a week shy of turning two.























We're not planning on squeezing her into all of last year's clothes, though. We got her some new clothes this past weekend.























The kids love watching the garbage trucks. Simple pleasures.























Laura loves going into her closet and putting on whatever she can get to. All she needs here is a mismatched legwarmer or two.

I'll leave you with a small glimpse of my pitiful girl.























This doesn't quite capture her level of pitiful-ness accurately but it was also taken yesterday before she started feeling really out of sorts. And right now, she's crying in her bed saying "Sad" every few seconds just to reinforce her condition. Even when she's sick she's a funny girl.

I realize that I've kind of been lazy writing-wise, since pictures and commentary don't really take any thought. Maybe I'll try something a little more thoughtful here soon. Deep Thoughts with Sara or something equally serious.

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh yes, the swing "pump" as we call it in this house. Frances was forced to learn this when she realized I could no longer push her because I was too busy ensuring her little brother wasn't having yet another playground meltdown (which usually ended in leaving said playground).

    And how is it that Laura is a week shy of TWO?? I guess if I'm floored by this notion then your head must be days from combustion. Seriously, I remember wishing her a happy FIRST birthday just yesterday, right? Boy these kids can break your heart.

    Enjoy this weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't even read your comment, but when I saw the first picture of Laura, my exact thought was "Oh my goodness, she looks so old!" I miss you so badly it's not even funny....can't wait until your next WV stop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh i miss you guys so much! please tell me you're going to bald head. if i can't play with will and laura i don't think it's even worth going. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla,

      Never fear...we're part of the mid-June Wayne Co Stampede on BHI so you'll get in plenty of W&L time, which they'll of course love.

      And I know. We miss you guys too. Sometimes living away from home kind of sucks, doesn't it?

      xo,

      Sara

      PS. I hope Kyle has also penciled BHI on his calendar, as I'm sure Will is going to ask for his octopus-hunting partner in crime, you know.

      Delete
  4. love your frilly panties could I have them please?

    ReplyDelete