I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Our baby is two

Two years ago, I was hanging out in the hospital, happily drugged and awaiting the same little girl who's snoozing in her crib now. Two years ago, I didn't know who Laura was or what she looked like or what her personality would be. Now, 730 days hence, it seems unimaginable that there was ever one single second that I didn't know her, didn't know what her hair feels like or how it curls under, except for the back right side, which has a mind of its own and flips whichever way it pleases at that given moment. Or that I didn't know what her tiny little finger looks like curled around mine or how her funny little naked body looks running around post-bath.

Also unimaginable is the fact that I worried way, way too much about how having her would disrupt our life, a relatively easy one (even with Big Brother's definitely-not-easy temperament) with only one extra mouth to feed, one little bum to clothe, one person to exert our influence on and hopefully steer in the right direction. I worried about raising a girl and all the potential minefields out there that we'd one day have to pick our clumsy way through. I worried about teaching two kids to get along and, with any luck, actually like each other.

But at 10:57, late in the evening on March 28, my doctor laid her tiny, slippery little self on my chest and I stopped worrying. None of that stuff mattered. It still doesn't. It was, and still is, the most profoundly peaceful moment of my whole life. From her very first breath, I knew her. I knew that everything good and pure and right in the world was distilled in all her 6 pounds and one ounce. I knew that she would change us in the best possible way. And she has. I wasn't "me" and we weren't "we" until she was here.

















It is such a privilege to raise her. She's still pure goodness in one little body. When I try to talk about her and what she is to us, words inevitably fail me. They always will. I am, now more than ever, keenly aware of just how fortunate we are to call these babies of ours our own. 






















Two years later, I still can't believe our good fortune. She's ours. And we couldn't possibly love her more.

Happy 2nd birthday, Sis! We love you, sweet girl!

1 comment:

  1. Happy, happy birthday to your adorable little Laura!! What a wonderful post - truly. Will just might kill you though; this makes me want to have another one EVEN MORE than ever (if that is even possible!). I hope she had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete