I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A month later

Well, I would apologize for not writing anything here lately but I'm pretty sure you've made it just fine without any of my usual drivel. I would also vow to write more often but I'm also pretty sure that that would be an empty promise. So.

Where to start? We spent a week in WV while Jamison was in Milwaukee yet again and it felt like I was on vacation! With Grammie around constantly, I forgot how time consuming the mundane areas of life with kids (preparing food, cleaning, bathing, so forth and so on ad infinitum) can be as she did a fair bit of assisting with both of the kids. And to top it all off, my mother-in-law watched the kids for a few hours while my mom and I went to lunch. Alone! I can't remember going out to lunch with my mom alone since having any of the kids so this was a much-appreciated afternoon off. (Thanks, Mamaw Di!)






















We spent a morning at my nephew's birthday party. Will loved all the rides and games.






















Laura wasn't so sure. We'll be going back to the same place for the kids' party here in a few weeks so we'll see if she's a little more adventurous the second time around.

















We had to go to the mall so Jamison could augment his extensive collection of corduroy pants before leaving on his trip. The bonus was that we got to ride this little train all around the mall. Will loved it. Laura was ready to disembark after a few minutes.























Photo by Will. We have about 446 pictures of various parts of the van's interior.






















Our activity level while in WV completely overwhelmed Laura.






















The kids both got haircuts.






















It was Laura's first haircut. Such a big girl now. The woman cutting her hair (Normie) is a family friend who also cut Will's hair for the first time so I wanted to wait until we were home to continue the tradition. (And yes, that's a sucker in my not-even-two-year-old's hand. Will had his first sucker sometime well into his first year of preschool so we're obviously a little more lax this time around.)























We took the kids to the playground to enjoy the warm weather.






















And to the library for story time.






















Will got to ride his bike some while Sister was napping.






















We also went on a long walk.






















Will could walk around in the woods for hours. Sometimes I think we're doing him a disservice by living where we do, a little ways away from the kind of rural childhood I had.

We saw lots more cousins and family while home but I'm not exactly consistent with the picture-taking and have no pictures to show from all this.

I'm sorry this was so boring. My writing/communication skills in general appear to be a little rusty.

Hopefully it's as nice out where you are as it is here!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! You're back : )

    First, I'm not sure if that's Laura or an incredibly beautiful China doll getting her first haircut. Could she be any prettier?? (And smart, too of course!).

    Second, I love that Will loves the outdoors. I love the outdoors, too, and I grew up in Lynch-vegas so never worry about squashing that instinct he has. It will be with him forever! He'll look back on that picture of himself sitting on the rock and remember how awesome that feels (not to mention that his grandparents' house will seem like Disneyland, which is exactly what he should think!).

    Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete