I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

It's May!

It's already May and that means that we're officially only four school weeks away from summer vacation. I thought last school year went by quickly but this one has surpassed that for fleeting-ness.

Laura and I go to her music class on Tuesday mornings. We have time to kill both before class after dropping Will off at school and after class before picking Will up. So we usually go to the park to "fwing," one of Laura's very favorite activities. But today, our second park stop involved more wandering around the flowers and hanging out at the fountain.


This particular park is so nice. I could have walked around for a lot longer than we had time for. It made me wish our yard looked like this. And then that thought made me laugh.


She takes my breath away. I love her so. We thought about sending her to school next year a few days a week but I want to keep my best girl home with me another year (or forever, maybe). I love having her with me, going places together, testing out every nearby "fwing" that we can find. I still can't believe we got so lucky. 

Will and I are in a heated game of Rivers, Roads, and Rails right now. He's (not surprisingly) much more skilled at this game than his mother, as I'm just not very spatially-inclined. My firstborn, however, counts the ability to solve puzzles and such among his skills that come most easily to him, which is always novel to me, as I tend to think that my children are merely carbon copies of their parents, namely me. (However, I should note that  Jamison is far better with puzzles and numbers and the like. I guess the other half of the DNA is equally important after all.)

OK. Time to get a beatdown at the hands of a five year old. Sad but true.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! And yes, I say keep her home as long as you can. I wouldn't trade this last year with George for anything. I must admit though, that come this September (his third birthday) and we will both be doing a small 'dance of joy' for our two mornings a week preschool. Woot.

    Thank you also for your condolences about Max. I'm still in shock, but it's helpful to have so much else to be thankful for - and that, I am : )

    ReplyDelete