I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

One more day

Will has one more day left at his school. After that, I won't be driving the route that I've driven for the past two years, twice each school day, nearly as much. We won't be racing to beat the green light that also happens to be the world's longest red light in an effort to get there in time. We won't be parking on the street (Grace Street, no less, which I always found appropriate for a church's address), in front of or behind the same cars and vans, seeing the same kids exit those cars and vans. We won't be putting backpacks and coats into a too-skinny cubby while Laura points out Will's friend Walker's cubby for all to hear ("Walker!!!!"--at least five or six of these jubilant outbursts per pickup or dropoff). We won't count the lights and steps on our way out or see Will's teachers from last year standing at their classroom door. Two years there, gone. Just like that.

What will we be doing next year? It's hard to say. We'll be walking, for one. Walking to a brand new school, new teachers, new friends. We'll see some familiar faces, older kids who live down the street, but for the most part, it's all new. That's the trouble with being the first. It's all unknown. I'm never as relaxed with Will (and with good reason, in all fairness, as his temperament requires constant vigilance), never as confident in my parenting. I wish it could be different, that I could relax a little and just let him be. But it's hard with him. It's hard with all of them, I know.

An older lady was leaving the gym at the same time as us this morning. I was holding Laura's hand as she pushed the wheelchair access buttons that open the door and then meandered out, pointing at a plane getting ready to land at a nearby airport. The lady smiled and waved at Laura and walked on ahead of us. A few steps later, the lady stopped and turned around. She said, "She's precious" and I responded with my usual smile and "thanks, we think so too." Then the lady said, "They all are, aren't they?"

Yes, they are. All of them, both of them. Kindergartner and toddler, blonde and brunette, button- pusher and parent-pleaser, sassy and sweet, boy and girl. I need to remember that, always.



1 comment:

  1. I love that woman at the gym - what a gift to a mother to hear that!

    PS - it is absolutely NOT fair to make me get a lump in my throat about the last day when (thankfully?) that is a good 3 weeks away for us. I am a mess already. I have no idea how I am going to get through any further milestones...invest in Kleenex, I suppose.

    PPS - CONGRATULATIONS to Will for finishing preschool. And congratulations to his mother for; well, for everything that is involved in this milestone.

    ReplyDelete