I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Before everyone wakes up for the day

I'm in a race against the clock to write this so it may be short. I really meant to do it yesterday but before I realized it, it was 9 pm and I was ready for bed. Also, there are no pictures.

Will is excited to be back at school and in a new class with new friends. There are only five boys in his class of fourteen, so he apparently has quite a few lady friends. (He came home with an "envelope" that another little girl had made him. He was distraught that she didn't write her address down for him as well. Should I be worried?)

Laura is FINALLY walking. At nearly 18 months old, she finally decided it was time. I really have to say that it's nice that she waited so long because she's a really good walker so far and we have had exactly zero nasty spills. She is becoming the funniest baby and I don't know how to explain exactly how in words so I'm not even going to try. One of her favorite places to be is romping on the couch with Will (which usually lasts all of five minutes as Will's "romping" is a bit more exuberant than hers.)

Jamison just returned from a week out of town. (Actually, he returned a day early and decided it would be nice to surprise me. So Laura and I are in the living room when I hear the door in the kitchen open and my only thought is, "Crap. I don't have a weapon." Not that we have actual weapons in our house, but I could probably make one of our knives suffice if need be. If you ever have the inclination to surprise me, please don't. I don't like surprises. At all.) The new job is not really all that different from the old job, as I woke up at 1 am last night to find that he was still working.

I have been doing some totally boring closet-cleaning-out and reorganizing and trying my damnedest to get Laura back to sleeping past six every morning. She's somehow gotten back on her little baby waking schedule and it's no good for anyone involved, as she falls asleep on the way to get Will at school and then takes a shortened afternoon nap if she takes one at all. But it's 6:13 and she's still sleeping so maybe it was a phase that's already passed.

I've also been doing a little bit of reading before bed but my pace of finishing a book a week or so has slowed. I finished a little book called Hector and the Search for Happiness and I didn't love it. I didn't hate it either but I kind of got irritated with it toward the end because it's supposed to be a parable but it felt kind of like I was being spoken to (via the narrator, obviously) as though I were a first-grader or so.

I also started Julie and Julia and I stopped that one about 100 pages in because I really couldn't stomach much more of Julie. We saw the movie and really liked it so I was expecting to also like the book. (I say "we saw the movie" so casually, like we see so many movies. It's one of exactly three that we've seen since Will was born. So we average less than a movie a year.) My problem with Julie in the book is how she talks about her job as some sort of secretary-ish person who works with some sort of organization that somehow aids the families of victims from September 11. While I'm sure that the job wasn't fun or fulfilling or whatever, she talks about what a huge inconvenience it is to her (or this is how it comes across in her writing, as she doesn't explicitly state as much) to be comforting these people following the first memorial service on the one-year anniversary of the attacks. She's irked by the fact that the men in her workplace seem to be off doing other things and the women seem to be the ones left to comfort the families. And maybe that's not exactly fair but really, Julie? So after reading that bit, I really didn't want to go on. She just seemed spoiled and self-indulgent and immature and in need of a huge dose of perspective. So I moved on.

I really didn't know just how irked I was at Julie and Julia. Sorry for that little diatribe. (Now that I write all of that, I remember wondering why Julia Child didn't want to meet Julie in the movie, but now I know why.)

Anyway, it's nearly 6:30 and the house it will probably still be quiet for the next 15 minutes or so, so I should fold some laundry or complete some other such productive task.

No comments:

Post a Comment