I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Author Authority

Will is newly interested in the authors of his books. It started with his Dr. Seuss obsession, in which we would always read the title, followed by the "by Dr. Seuss" that's on all of his books in rather distinctive writing. For a time he thought all books were authored by Mr. Geisel but it appears that he's finally come around to the idea of multiple authors in the world.

We're pretty big fans of the Gerald and Piggie series. They're written by one Mo Willems (who, in case you don't already know, also happens to be another great children's author/illustrator). The last time we read a Gerald and Piggie book, I pointed to the author's name on the cover of the book and asked who the author was. Will answered with some degree of exasperation and/or pity: "Sherwin Williams."

Can you tell that we paint fairly frequently around here?

No comments:

Post a Comment