I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Pumpkin Patch Isn't Just a Store in Ceredo

This picture pretty much sums up the personality of each of my kids. Will is cheesing it up and Laura is just not happy. I realized when I was looking back at these pictures of them together that I don't have all that many pictures of both of them. I guess for a while it was more of a safety issue, since Will isn't exactly gentle, but now I don't really have an excuse. Except maybe for the fact that Laura is only happy for half-minute intervals at a time.  (I'm kidding. She's still grumpy but also still sweet as ever. I tell myself she's just a girl who knows what she wants and doesn't like it when the rest of the world hasn't been clued in. I just wonder how much of my personality she'll inherit.)



Posted by Picasa

We went on Will's first-ever field trip to a farm/pumpkin patch on Monday and Will was, as usual, the most excited, exuberant child there. I'm fairly certain that he didn't cease moving the entire time we were there, save the time we were on the hayride. The animals seemed to be a big hit with him and he keeps talking about being bitten by a goose, but I never saw anything like that happen.



He liked the chickens okay, too. Here he's saying "Hi chicken!" He really is one of the friendliest souls I've ever been around.



Posted by Picasa

While the animals held his interest for a while, he quickly made his way over to this beast when he spied it. He examined every angle of it, asking what each part did, where the engine was, what the ladder was to, what it was for, who drove it, on and on and on. He does this with every kind of moving vehicle or object with working parts. It's a compulsion for him, to understand what something's parts are and what they do. I foresee lots and lots of taken-apart electronics and appliances in our future, which I don't really mind. If he has Dad's mechanical aptitude and is still interested in such matters, I'll keep him supplied with an endless stream of household repairs.



Posted by Picasa

Changing gears, it's Will's third week of swimming and he's now able to swim to the side from about the middle of the pool, a huge accomplishment considering he's only had ten lessons so far. He loves being in the water and I can tell a huge difference in his confidence and comfort level in the water. His teacher is pleased with his progress and says that once the hey-I-like-this-swimming-thing lightbulb clicks on, like it seemingly did overnight for Will, it's all just a matter of how quickly he'll begin to put everything together. I know some people think this kind of lesson is cruel for kids, but I have to say that these have been by far the best swimming lessons Will has taken.

Laura has decided to become a regular old poopy-pants and thus our new diaper sprayer and I have become bff. I'm still glad we made the switch to cloth, even with the added bonuses of post-eating-solids poopy diapers. While we're on the subject of solids, we've now added green beans, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and plums into our puree rotation and she seems to like most of these options. She's really becoming a pretty good eater, which I never thought would happen, based on her earliest encounters with regular food. She appears to not be anywhere close to giving up the breastfeeding and I'm happy to keep nourishing my little wiggle worm, gladly contributing to her tiny little thigh rolls.

I'm trying to edit a really long video of Will's swimming lesson yesterday, so hopefully it'll be here for you to watch soon. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment