I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

from Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day"

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Swim, Swam, Swum

(Swum, I think, has to be one of the oddest words in the English language. I don't know that I've ever actually used it despite the fact that I know it's correct.)

Will has been going to swimming lessons since Monday and he's so far learned the basics of floating on his back, which is a pretty big skill when it comes to swimming, especially for a three-year-old. He's not crazy about it yet, and still kind of flails about some reaching for his teacher but it's really kind of crazy how far he's come in three days. In a few short weeks, he'll be able to swim/float/swim until he can reach the side and climb out of the pool. And in another few short weeks, he'll have to do it fully clothed, since kids most often fall into water while wearing clothes and the point of these lessons is for him to be able to get out of the water in case of an emergency. These are pretty intense swimming lessons but Will has done pretty well, providing plenty of laughs along the way.

Another laugh, albeit unrelated to swimming: Will was drinking his smoothie at breakfast yesterday and said, in all seriousness, "Well, hello smoothie. I can't wait to drink you." Jamison said he hoped he doesn't start saying that about meat and the like since that may be a little bit creepy. Agreed.

And, finally, in news that probably three or four people really care about, Laura has expanded her mealtime repertoire to oatmeal, apples and squash. Carrots are going to be added tomorrow. I think she's more interested in eating her fingers but she's done okay so far. Nothing like Will's voracious appetite at this age, but I'll still take it.

We're headed to WV tomorrow for a trip that involves the Fall Festival and other such fun. It may even involve a night out for Mommy and Daddy, which hasn't happened since I don't know when. (And I mean "I don't know when" literally. I can't remember the last time we did anything. Enough with the bellyaching, right?) I'll maybe try to write something while we're there. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment